Wellington International Airport, New Zealand
Before the Wellington International Airport was New Zealand’s 3rd busiest airport, it went by the name Rongotai.
Initially in 1929, Rongotai airport only consisted of a grass runway. Rongotai officially opened in 1935.
In 1947, authorities closed down the airport. They deemed it unsafe in the winter.
In 1959, the local Chamber of Commerce lobbied and the airport returned, this time they named it Wellington.
Wellington International Airport sits on 270 acres of land. It’s grooved asphalt runway measures 2,081 metres long.
This public airport is a joint-venture. Infratil, an infrastructure investment company, privately owns 66% of Wellington International, and Wellington City Council, a New Zealand territorial authority, publically owns 34%.
Heavy winds sometimes leads to rough landings at Wellington International.